Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting Minutes December 14, 2016
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:15 PM by Commander LaPoint. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Maurice Sanders gave opening prayer and Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: None.
- Roll Call of Officers:12 Present, 2 Absent, (Wilder removed), 1 Vacant(t2) 1 Excused (Bozeman) (cmdr sv jv qm ch t3e t2v t1 h1 h2v h3 sg so od adj ja). Commander LaPoint appointed Comrade Campbell to vacant Judge Advocate position.
- Petitions For Membership: None
- Distribution and reading highlights of previous minutes was conducted. Minutes approved as read.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements given and discussed. Campbell, Shelley made motion to accept report, subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: None
- Committee Reports were given and Approved.
- Canteen report given by Quartermaster, a below average month. Discussed the problems with Dance and Karaoke (low attendance, 2760 competition).
- Comrades LaPoint, Campbell and Holland attend Membership training in Montgomery.
- Next meeting Jan 10th.
- Reading of Official Communications: General Order #6 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion.
- Unfinished Business:
- Signs for cameras closed.
- Donated $750 to Walnut Elementary School Christmas program, $350 from post and $400 form donations. School purchased mainly shoes and socks for needy children attending the school.
- Need sign for building for All American and All State award. Several members will look into the sign if we can get and example.
- Discussion on possibility of selling building and moving to new facility continued. Comrade Saunders will draft a letter to be send out to the membership 30 days before a meeting where a motion will be made to try to sell the building and relocate the Post home. The relocation would be to a suitable existing facility or build a new facility. This may be a special meeting, to be determined by the commander.
- Continued discussion of the possibility of having Bingo. Dave and Steve will (eventually!) go to Jasper to see their operation.
- $2000 allocated in November to replace carpet in Canteen on books
- New Business:
- Alex made motion to contribute $100 each to Patriots Paw, Seconded by Holmes, Motion carried.
- Alex made motion to purchase used Cooler($300) and shelves($60) from Holmes. One of our coolers died and we need to move stuff from the AUX office and on the floor in back room to the shelves. Seconded by Shelly and motion carried.
- Membership. There was long dissuasion on the ABC's law on 150 members and the Departments insistence that there must be 150 members paid according to MEMSTATS, even though their by-laws say 150 members on the post roster. We have 150 paid up members on Dec 31st according to the Post Roster, but MEMSTATS (a recruiting tool) only has 136. Motion made by LaPoint to pay dues for 25 members or $750 over the next several month. Enough will be payed to bring us to 150 members by the MEMSTATS report before Dec 31st.
- Letter from John Jones Elementary school request help to ship 20 more box of goodies to troops in Iraq and Afghanistan to $335. LaPoint made motion to send checks, Holmes seconded motion carried.
- Mid-Winter Conference Jan 19th. $780 to pay for 3 members to attend.
- Karaoke KJ will be replaced by Buddy and Tim from the band. Still having attendance problems. Band contract goes thought the end of January. Well have to take a look at both the dance and karaoke and evaluate if we should continue.
- Good of the Order:None
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 7:20 PM.