Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting Minutes January 10, 2016
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:05 PM by Commander LaPoint. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Maurice Sanders gave opening prayer and Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: None.
- Roll Call of Officers:13 Present, 1 Absent, (), 1 Vacant(Tr2) 1 Excused ().
Cmdr, SVCmdr, JVCmdr, Qmst, Chap, Tr3, Tr2, Tr1, HC1, HC2, HC3, Surg, Serv, Adj, OD, JudgA
- Petitions For Membership:
Motion to accept carried: Holland, Holmes.
- Tully Cox, Transfer from 2760
- Jonathan Cox, New Member, DD214 Qualified
- Distribution and reading highlights of previous minutes was conducted. Minutes approved as read. LaPoint, Shelly.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements given and discussed. M, S made motion to accept report, subject to Audit.
- Comrade in Distress: None
- Committee Reports were given and Approved.
- Canteen report given by Quartermaster, a below average month. Discussed the continuing attendance problems with Dance and Karaoke.
- Comrades LaPoint, Campbell and Holland attend Membership training in Montgomery.
- Next meeting Feb 14th.
- Reading of Official Communications: General Order #7 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion.
- Unfinished Business:
- Need sign for building for All American and All State award. Several members will look into the sign if we can get and example.Updated by Shelly
- Discussion on possibility of selling building and moving to new facility continued. Comrade Saunders drafted a letter to be send out to the membership 30 days before a meeting where a motion will be made to try to sell the building and relocate the Post home. The relocation would be to a suitable existing facility or build a new facility. This may be a special meeting, to be determined by the commander. There was a long discussion (45 minutes!) on when to hold a Special meeting, what we expect, what we'll present, etc. By-laws consulted and letter must be sent to all post members to reach them 48 hours before meeting. After all the discussion a motion made by Holmes, seconded by Shelly to hold Special meeting on February 14th (in lieu of membership meeting) for the soul purpose to putting post home up for sale. Motion carried. Letter will be drafted and sent out as soon as possible.
- Continued discussion of the possibility of having Bingo. Dave and Steve will (eventually!) go to Jasper to see their operation.
- $2000 allocated in November to replace carpet in Canteen still on books
- $750 allocated in December to pay membership for up to 25 members. (Herbert Mc Clendon,Jimmie Cunningham,Joshua Hamilton,Robert Garmon,Jedediah Hornbuckle,Richard Benka,Edward Spraley Paid by Post, 18 remain)
- $360 Due Johnny Holmes for Shelves and Cooler.
- New Business:
- Discussed visit by ABI/ABC officers today. Someone turned us in for gambling at the post. Taking corrective action and will notify Montgomery.
- Good of the Order:Discussion on why we've had several member transfer in recent months, and what we can do to prevent it. There is no solution if we don't know reasons, but probably didn't like something - not knowing what it was, we can't take action.
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by Commander LaPoint at 7:20 PM.