Wilson Parris VFW Post 8600
817 Rainbow Drive
Gadsden, Alabama 35901
Post Membership Meeting Minutes Aug 8, 2017
- Opening Ceremony: Meeting Opened at 6:08 PM by SV Commander Holmes. Opening ceremonies conducted. Chaplin Saunders gave opening prayer. Pledge of Allegiance recited by all members present.
- Guests: None.
- Roll Call of Officers:12 Present, 2 Excused (Cmdr,tr3) 1 Vacant(HC2) 1 1 Absent (Surg).
Cmdr, SVCmdr, JVCmdr, Qmst, Chap, Tr3, Tr2, Tr1, HC1, HC2, HC3, Surg, Serv, Adj, OD, JudgA
- Petitions For Membership: None
- Distribution and reading highlights of previous minutes was conducted. Minutes approved as read. Holmes, Alex.
- Quartermaster Report of Income and Disbursements distributed and discussed. An expanded explanation of reports made by Quartermaster. Motion made and seconded (Shelly, Homes) to accept report, subject to Audit.
strong Comrade in Distress:
- Committee Reports were given and Approved.
- Canteen report given by Quartermaster.
- Sept 12th, Walgreen wellness clinic
- Next meeting September 12th.
- A sort diversion was made to discuss some House Committee issues. Still have problems with customers realizing that we are OPEN. Discussed Band issues - possible band once a month at $10 door so we can get a few decent band - maybe as a Post fund raiser. Discussed ABC Presentation at School of Instruction. Discussed our citations from the ABC ($1080). ABC only requires that there are 150 members in the VFW Statewide, not by post. HC is going to contact the local American Legion about their Bingo Equipment. Considering raising prices on some liquor. Will look at our requirement to close bar (actually Post) during meeting. Discussed ABC "loop hole" on selling half pints (200ml). Our citation was for violation of Happy Hour rules. Selling same brand at reduced price for half-pint and full prices for single drinks. Need to talk to Gadsden Revenue on what license cost would be for to sell Draft Beer and or Wine.
- Reading of Official Communications: General Order #2 was read to membership and some items were brought up for discussion. Remember General Orders are available available on the Departments Web Site: http://alvfw.org. School of instruction Aug 4th, 5th. (Plam, Alex, LaPoint, Holmes)
- Unfinished Business:
- Need sign for building for All American and All State award.
- Continued discussion of the possibility of having Bingo. Joyce, Steve and Lorena meet Jasper Post May 15Th to look at there operation. See if Tuscaloosa has equipment. See if local American Legion post has equipment.
- $2000 allocated in November to replace carpet in Canteen still on books. We need to apply for Grant from VFW to make repairs.
- For Sale sign has not been Posted. $74 for 3 x 5 bannerBuy Plaque, hat or something for Commander LaPoint for All American/State/District accomplishments ($?)
- New Business:
- Campbell made motion to pay up to $600 for District meeting on Aug 20th. Shelly seconded. Motion passed
- Shelly made motion to pay up to $800 for American Legion's Bigno equipment if suitable for our use. Saunders seconded. Motion passed.
- Roster was created for all Officers who can work the door Saturday on a rotating basis. Up to assigned office two make any swaps needed.
- Good of the Order:
- Dave was not at meeting because he is probably leaving tomorrow. His wife's brother is in bad shape.
- Discussed issues that came up over the temporary closing of 2760 and their members/guest accusations that Dave and 8600 was the cause. This includes issues brought up during a special meeting during the School of Instruction.
- Closing Ceremonies performed and meeting Adjourned by SV Commander Holmes at 7:15 PM.